Accessibility |


Comments & Complaints

Q. What should I do if I want to make a complaint or provide feedback about COPFS?

A. There are various ways to get in touch. You can contact us in person at your local Procurator Fiscal’s office, by telephoning our National Enquiry Point on 01389 739 557, or in writing by emailing us at  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or by writing to Response and Information Unit, Crown Office, 25 Chambers Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1LA.

Q. Who can provide feedback?

A. Any individual or organisation who has used COPFS. A relative, friend, or care provider can also provide feedback on behalf of someone who has used our service. Please note that you will be required to provide signed consent if you are complaining on behalf of someone.

Q. What happens after we receive your feedback?

A. We listen to what you have said and to try to resolve any issues as quickly as possible. We can also learn from your experience and improve our service, policies and procedures for others.

Q. Will I be treated differently if I make a complaint?

A. No. COPFS welcomes your feedback.

Q. Who will deal with my complaint?

A. If it is not resolved straight away, it will be passed to our Response and Information Unit (RIU). 

Q. Are the investigators independent?

A. Staff in the Response and Information Unit are trained in handling complaints. All complaints are treated impartially.

Q. How long does the complaints process take?

A. You should contact us as soon as the matter occurs. We aim to resolve issues as quickly as possible. If a complaint is made, we will acknowledge receipt within three working days and provide a full response within 20 working days.

Q. Is there a time limit on raising my complaint?

A. Complaints should be made as soon as possible. We will not normally consider a complaint that is more than six months old.

Q. Will I be given updates on the progress of my complaint?

A. If we are unable to give a full response, we will keep you informed of progress within 20 working days, and then every 20 working days until a full response is provided.

Q. Can I appeal against the decision?

A. There is no further stage of appeal within COPFS. If a complaint has passed through our Quick Resolution procedure and our complaints process, and you are not happy with how we have handled your complaint you can raise that with the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman. This should be done within a year of the issue that caused the complaint. The Ombudsman cannot look at how and why legal decisions were taken.