Charges reported and outcome regarding Animal Cruelty and Welfare
Thank you for your email dated 8 December and 21 December regarding clarification of questions 1 and 2 of where you requested the following information under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA):
1) The number of animal cruelty cases reported to the procurator fiscal across Scotland overall and then by local authority - 2015-2016 or 2014-2015 if this data is not available.
2) The number of cases from that which were prosecuted regardless of sentence (fines, disqualification, community orders etc,) overall and for each 32 local authorities.
I would like to specify further in question 1 I am looking for animal cruelty and animal welfare cases reported.
I would also like to specify in question 2 I am looking for a breakdown of outcomes; number of charges prosecuted including the outcome e.g. fines disqualification orders, community orders etc.
3) Of those prosecuted what sentences were given or what action was taken from those reports of cases prosecuted, please provide a breakdown of penalties issued
4) What is the average sentence given to offenders of animal cruelty?
5) What number of people convicted of animal abuse have they went on to be charged with human violence?
We do endeavour to provide information where we can, the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service's case management database is a live, operating database. It is designed to meet our business needs in relation to the processing of criminal cases, and the information within it is structured accordingly. We do not have a separate database, and hold only operational data needed for business purposes.
Annex A is in response to question 1, which contains a PF office breakdown for each year of total charges reported to COPFS.
Annex B provides information on question 2, namely charges prosecuted with outcome, which was discussed with you.
Annex C is background information, containing a breakdown of all the charges reported with outcomes
Question 5, as previously discussed with our Management Information Unit, I am afraid that the information you have requested is not recorded by COPFS. Accordingly, I can therefore confirm in terms of Section 17 of FOISA that COPFS does not hold the information you have requested