As well as the procurator fiscal, you can contact other organisations for help and support.
- Victim Support Scotland provides practical advice, emotional support and assistance to people affected by crime. The service is free and confidential. Contact 0345 603 9213 Monday- Friday from 8am to 8pm.
- The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority can compensate blameless victims of violent crime. Contact 0141 331 2726.
- The Witness Service is based in the court building. The staff and volunteers can help witnesses and their families through the judicial process.
- The Scottish Domestic Abuse Helpline is free and confidential for women and men experiencing domestic abuse, now or in the past. Contact 0800 027 1234.
- Scottish Woman's Aid gives information, support and a safe refuge to women and their children experiencing domestic abuse. Contact 0131 226 6606.
- Shakti Woman's Aid is based in Edinburgh and offers support to black and minority ethnic women and their children experiencing domestic abuse. Contact 0131 475 2399.
- Hemat Gryffe Woman's Aid is based in Glasgow and provides support and refuge accommodation to black and minority ethnic women and their children experiencing domestic abuse. Contact 0141 353 0859.
- AMIS Abused Men in Scotland – an organisation offering support and information to male victims of domestic abuse. They have a freephone helpline 7pm - 10pm, 7 nights a week (0808 800 0024)
- FEARLESS Domestic Abuse – specialist service covering most parts of Scotland for any man, LGBTI person or person from an ethnic minority community. Contact 0131 624 7266.
Victims of sexual abuse can gain access to a number of services, through the NHS, social work departments and voluntary organisations.
- Survivor Scotland provides a comprehensive directory of information on how to get help, including links toorganisations for advice, support and connecting with other survivors.
- Rape Crisis Scotland provides help and support for anyone affected by sexual violence. The helpline is free and confidential. Contact 08088 01 03 02 from 6pm to midnight every day.
- Speak out Scotland (S-O-S) provides a support service for non-offending male survivors of childhood sexual abuse. They operate a telephone helpline service for support, information and signposting to appropriate services. They also provide access to specialist counselling by phone, face to face and a self help group that runs every second Saturday. Their freephone number is 0300 400 3202.
- The In Care Survivors Service Scotland is a partnership led by Open Secret, is a trauma informed counselling and advocacy support service for adults who suffered childhood abuse in care and their families. There is a national confidential telephone Helpline - 0800 121 6027 - currently available from 9am to 11am Monday to Friday, for those who have not yet been allocated a worker or to make a new referral.
- NAPAC – The National Association for People Abused in Childhood is the UK’s leading national charity offering support to adult survivors of all types of childhood abuse, including physical, sexual and emotional abuse and neglect. It provides a variety of resources for survivors to take control of their healing.
Support line: 0808 801 0331 - free from landlines and mobiles from 10am - 9pm Monday to Thursday & 10am - 6pm Friday. Calls will not show on your bill.
- Cruse Bereavement Care Scotland helps people experiencing bereavement. Contact 0845 600 2227.
- PETAL (People Experiencing Trauma and Loss) provides practical and emotional support, advocacy, group support and counselling for the families and friends of murder and suicide victims. Contact 01698 324502.