The Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS) recognises the importance of good records management practices to ensure:
• compliance with the Public Records (Scotland) Act 1937 (as amended), the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FOISA)
• adherence to the principles of open government
• public accountability for and the ability to justify decisions and actions
• preservation of important decisions for future generations, by keeping appropriate records at the National Records of Scotland.
- Public Records (Scotland) Act 2011
Lord Advocate and Procurators Fiscal – Assessment Report by the Keeper of the Records of Scotland (16 May 2016)