Request personal data

How can I find out what information COPFS holds about me?

You have a right, under the law, to know what personal information we keep on you. This is called a 'subject access request'. We manage your data in line with strict data protection laws.

Who is this for?

Anyone who has experienced crime, been a witness to one, or has been accused of one. We hold data relating to people in all of these categories.

What sort of personal information do you keep?

It could be any kind. The data can include statements from witnesses, details of police charges, or email messages. Please note that we can only give out data relating to closed cases.

How do I get to see it?

Please submit a request in writing. It is called a subject access request. You can do this in one of three ways:

Information Governance Unit (IGU)
Policy & Engagement
Crown Office
25 Chambers Street
Edinburgh EH1 1LA

We recommend you use our form, because it asks you all the questions which will help us to deal with your request quickly.

However you send your request, we will need copies of your identification. Please include two types, so we have proof of your name, date of birth, and address.

Once we have processed your request, we will send a copy of all your personal data back to you.

How much does it cost?

We offer this free of charge.

How long will it take?

Once we have received the required identification, we will respond to your request within one month.

For more details, or if you have any queries, write to us at